AI’s “potential to benefit humanity is enormous, even in defense, but allowing machines to choose to kill humans will be devastating to our security and freedom”

The short film shows small, autonomous drones target and kill lawmakers and college students who advocate for human rights. (Photo: “Slaughterbots“/Screenshot)

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Jessica Corbett | Common Dreams | Nov. 20, 2017

As support grew last week for a ban on killer robots during the first formal United Nations talks about imposing limits on lethal autonomous weapons systems, artificial intelligence experts and advocacy groups released a viral video depicting what a future could look like with small and affordable drones that murder targets without any meaningful human control.

“This short film is more than just speculation; it shows the results of integrating and miniaturizing technologies that we already have,” warns Stuart Russell, a computer science professor at UC Berkeley, near the end of the video.

AI’s “potential to benefit humanity is enormous, even in defense, but allowing machines to choose to kill humans will be devastating to our security and freedom. Thousands of my fellow researchers agree,” Russell continues. “But the window to act is closing fast.”

The film was created to raise support for a global ban on killer robots, which has developed out of urgent warnings from human rights organizations, advocacy groups, military leaders, lawmakers, tech experts, and engineers, including Stephen Hawking and Tesla CEO Elon Musk.

Russell and the Future of Life Institute screened the video in Geneva, Switzerland last week at an event hosted by the Campaign to Stop Killer Robots, in an effort to increase pressure on the group of governmental experts on lethal autonomous weapons systems who were gathered for a week-long meeting organized by the U.N. Convention on Conventional Weapons (CCW).

When the talks concluded Friday, representatives established a final report calling for future discussions about the mounting threat of killer robots. Campaign for Killer Robots expressed disappointment with the report, but celebrated new support for banning these types of weapons. During the talks, three countries—Brazil, Iraq, and Uganda—joined the list (pdf) of 22 nations that are demanding an outright ban.


Originally Published @ Common Dreams


SHARE:

David Armstrong | Natural News | Nov. 17, 2017

Natural News founder/editor Mike Adams said in a recent podcast that two government agencies that shouldn’t be — the Environmental Protection Agency and the Food and Drug Administration —  are now arming up with military-style equipment such as body armor, spending tens of millions of dollars on such gear over the last few years.

OpenTheBooks.com  has been tracking this government spending on military-style equipment, revealing a frightening pattern of regulatory agencies — which should be pushing paper — now building their own PRIVATE ARMIES to be used as weapons of intimidation and coercion against the People, Adams says in a recent podcast.

“The regulatory police state has arrived! When an ‘environmental’ protection agency is building its own private army with military weapons, body armor, and assault gear, you know something has gone horribly wrong with the federal government,” he noted.

Just imagine, he points out, that now farmers can be subjected to military-style EPA raids and intimidation tactics, almost as if the government itself is engaging in state-sponsored terror against American citizens.

What’s even odder is that the FDA, too, has begun building its own military-style ‘government militia’ of armed assault teams.

“Is this part of the FDA’s continued mission to destroy natural products that compete with the profits of Big Pharma?” Adams asked, noting that most of the “militarization” of these and other federal agencies took place under the Obama administration.

The Health Ranger said that he’s been documenting for years the United States’ slow but steady progression towards a North Korea-style police state in which the central government has supreme control over all Americans, and where even state governments would be completely powerless against Washington’s power.

While the trend has certainly slowed since President Donald J. Trump was inaugurated in January, he still has a long way to go before he drains the swamp and cleans out Obama-era (and previous) federal appointees and holdovers who believe in an all-powerful federal government that dictates mandates to the people.

“How is it protecting the environment when you’re all geared up as a military assault team?” Adams said, in reference to the EPA’s SWAT-style units.

And of course, the taxpayer doesn’t get off the hook either, Adams said, quoting published sources claiming that these federal agencies were spending tens of millions of dollars to purchase SWAT-style gear and weapons.

“Forty-four federal agencies have spent over $71 million on items like body armor, riot helmets and shields, cannon launchers and police firearms and ammunition,” Adams said during his podcast, quoting one of those reports, which used the watchdog organization Open the Books as a source.

That amount is in addition to nearly $400 million spent on similar gear and weapons by legitimate federal spy and law enforcement agencies like the FBI, CIA, Secret Service and the Diplomatic Security Service, the latter of which falls under the State Department.

There are 440 federal agencies in all, by the way, proving that once an agency is created, it never goes away.

Later in his podcast, Adams noted again that “America is already a police state,” and that citizens are “living under a totalitarian regime right now.”

He also said he believes we’re living in a “food fascism police state” as well since the FDA also has armed units and can impose the agency’s will — literally at the point of a gun — anytime it wants, with no recourse for the citizens.

“They want to be able to raid your herbal manufacturing facility, and they want to make sure that you are shootable and defenseless” when they come, Adams said of the FDA, mockingly.

There’s much more to his podcast and you can hear it in its entirety below or by clicking here.


Originally Published @ Natural News


SHARE:


Mac Slavo | SHTFplan | Nov. 14, 2017

Is the United States Army preparing for a war? It certainly feels that way after they recently lifted the ban on joining by the mentally ill, cutters, and drug abusers in order to meet the recruitment quotas.

Facing extremely low recruitment levels, the U.S. Army quietly (meaning they hoped no one would notice) lifted its ban on allowing people with a history of mental illness, self-mutilation and drug abuse to serve in the military. The ban was lifted despite warnings from the industry about the risks involved. According to Fox News, the new rules green-light recruits who have bipolar disorder, depression, and issues with cutting (a process of self-harm in which a person takes a knife or razor to his or her own skin) along with those who bite, hit or bruise themselves intentionally. They also allow those with a history of drug abuse to sign up.

“I am shocked,” Craig Bryan, executive director of the National Center for Veterans Studies at The University of Utah, told Fox News. “This contradicts everything we have been working toward for the past 10-to-15 years.” Bryan says there is strong evidence to indicate self-injury is a “stepping stone to suicide” and is “the single strongest predictor of suicidal behavior.” The Army already has the highest rate of suicide when compared to all other branches of the military. The change in policy reverses an eight-year ban on the waivers following a spike of suicides.

Which begs the question: what exactly are they recruiting all these people for?

The decision to lift restrictions comes as the military looks like it will miss its goal of recruiting 80,000 new soldiers through September of 2018. This new policy was signed off in August but they never announced it, according to USA Today, which first reported on the change.

In order to hit last year’s goal of 69,000 recruits, the Army also accepted men and women who did poorly on aptitude tests, increased the number of waivers for pot use, and offered hundreds of millions of dollars in bonuses. In the fiscal year 2017, the Army paid out $424 million in bonuses, up from $284 million in 2016. In 2014, that figure was $8.2 million. According to USA Today, some of the recruits qualified for bonuses of $40,000.

The Army claims that people are overreacting and that these waivers are being “misinterpreted.” The change in waiver procedures, which means requests can be reviewed and approved by the U.S. Army Recruiting Command, or in the case of the National Guard, by the State Adjutant General, has been “widely misinterpreted,” according to Army Deputy Cheif of Staff Lt. Gen. Thomas C. Seamands. “It’s also important to note that the conditions themselves have been unfairly characterized,” he added. “For example, a child who received behavioral counseling at age 10 would be forever banned from military service were it not for the ability to make a waiver request. We’re not prepared to close the door on such individuals who are otherwise medically, mentally and physically qualified for military service,” Seamands said. “We think this is the right thing for our Army, and the selfless young men and women who wish to serve.”

Dr. Joel Dvoskin, a clinical psychologist and assistant professor in the University of Arizona’s Department of Psychiatry, told Fox News he believes lifting the ban is a step in the right direction. “The label of mental illness is meaningless,” he said. “There are a ton of people who have a history of something – some kind of emotional trouble – and they are fine. There is no reason in the world they couldn’t serve in the military.” He added, “Stereotypes are pretty evil all the way around. Because of the stigma (of mental illness), we stereotype them.”

Others can see that this may be a much bigger deal than the Army is letting on. “It is a red flag,” Elspeth Ritchie, a psychiatrist who retired from the Army in 2010, said. “The question is, how much of a red flag is it?”


SOURCE: SHTFplan.com


SHARE:

The Daily Sheeple | Nov. 14, 2017

This is the first confirmed case of the gene editing of human embryos in the US and it gets scientists one step closer to the ability to create genetically engineered humans. Researchers in Portland, Oregon have used a powerful gene editing tool called CRISPR to create genetically modified human embryos, MIT Technology Review reported in an exclusive.

CRISPR, which is often compared to the cut-and-paste function on a word processor, is a powerful and comparatively new genetic engineering technique that allows scientists to make specific, targeted changes to the DNA of a plant, animal, or human. It’s relatively cheap and easy to use and has the potential to cure a wide range of diseases, such as muscular dystrophy or HIV (Human Immunodeficiency Virus). But scientists seem to be using it to create designer humans and animals instead leading to ethics questio

In 2015, Chinese scientists used CRISPR to make muscled beagles. But even beyond the often-stated fear that gene editing will lead to a world of designer babies and “genetic have-nots,” CRISPR is still new and may have consequences we don’t understand.

Several countries have a ban or at least some type of regulation on gene editing in human embryos, although as the use of CRISPR speeds up in the lab, regulations, and viewpoints continue to evolve as well. Earlier this year, the US National Academy of Sciences said that editing the DNA of human embryos could be allowed in order to cure disease, with certain safeguards in place; and scientists are going ahead.

According to Motherboard, teams in China have edited human embryos at least three times, and earlier this year, a Chinese team reported another first: using CRISPR to correct genetic mutations in three normal human embryos. (Previous tests were done on non-viable embryos that couldn’t have produced children. According toTechnology Review, the US experiment destroyed embryos after a few days, with no intention to implant them.) Scientists in the US watched developments in China “with a combination of awe, envy, and some alarm,” Technology Review reported.

It looks like Americans were more than eager to try CRISPR for themselves. And the creation of a gene-modified human could happen anytime. Hopefully, scientists will use the technology for the greater good and actually cure viruses and illnesses rather than to create perfect humans in jars.


SOURCE: The Daily Sheeple


SHARE:

Alex Thomas | SHTFplan | Nov. 8, 2017

A former military and intelligence operative who has called into The Alex Jones Show on numerous occasions has been picked up by the FBI after his shocking public warning that the United States was about to fall victim to a false flag terror attack, according to a report by Infowars.com.

The caller, identified only as Zach, warned yesterday that the Saudi civil war was about to “spill over” into terror attacks within the United States that would be blamed on Yemeni nationals but actually carried out by deep state agents within the CIA.

“There are going to be attacks, by what will be described as Yemeni nationals in the United States but I’m just going to put this out there, these are CIA operatives, CIA proxies who are rogue at this point because their entire infrastructure has been dissolved by the Trump Administration,” the source warned.

“I’m just going to say it right now, during this week there is an attempt by Yemeni nationals inside the United States… false flag,” he continued after discussing who really launched the ICBM from Yemen.

Sometime after the insider revealed this bombshell information he was apparently picked up by the FBI, despite the fact that he had not revealed any classified information.

In other words, the source was seemingly taken into custody because of his false flag warning.

“We have a source who got picked up by the FBI last night, I know who the source is, and he has actually been in the news before and is a prominent member of the military and intelligence community,” Jones revealed in an update.

“The FBI came and picked him up two hours after he was on as a caller, took him in to a military facility and hes there… hes even still got his phone, they took it away and downloaded it. Took his laptop and home computer. He has a lawyer now. Over what he said on air.”

To recap, a high-level military and intelligence source not only revealed a Saudi connection to the Las Vegas Massacre, he then went on to warn about what he believed to be an upcoming false flag terror attack that would be blamed on the Middle East but actually carried out by the deep state.

He was taken into custody shortly after.

“The word is [from the source] that Yemeni terrorists are getting ready to strike in Europe and the United States as part of this civil war,” Jones continued. “Within two hours of him saying that, the FBI was at his house, had transcripts and recordings of his last 7 or 8 phone calls here.”

Stay tuned as this is a developing story that will be updated as additional information comes in.


Source: SHTFplan.com